Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pay cut

I have pictures to share but can't figure out how to reduce the size to upload on my new laptop. Once I figure that out, I will post. I had a busy three days off...saw my niece and nephew. She is getting so big. It's been a month since I have seen her! Little Eric is showing signs of jealousy but I made sure to play extra with him. He is such a smart little guy! They both made me smile!

DH and I went to the Mission in San Juan Capistrano. The grounds are just beautiful! We also went to one of our favorite restaurants, Lone Star Steakhouse. We go about once a year. It is a nice treat for us. We don't eat red meat very often. We had filet mignon and it was delicious! I highly recommend this restaurant. One reason we love it so much is the atmosphere. They play Country Music and in the evenings, on the hour, the staff line dances! We had a good time!

We also visited family and I went to the dentist. (The dentist was definitely not the highlight of my weekend). I have such anxiety when I go. Hubby took the day off to go with me and so we could spend time together. We had one day off together in three weeks! So it was a nice change.

Okay, starting next Sunday, the start of my pay period, are furlough hours start. I have a 5% paycut, which is 4 hours a paycheck. So, my question for you reading this, Where have you made cuts? I already cut coupons to save money. I don't go to Starbucks anymore since I have my fabulous coffee machine! I don't need to go to McDonalds anymore since I know how to make iced coffee. I am just looking for more ideas to save money.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

5 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

I am glad you had such a wonderful weekend! There's always so much to do and never enough time to get it all in - but it looks like you guys did a pretty good job of accomplishing it all!!

Fortunately, teachers have not been asked to take furloughs, but many new teachers have been displaced and economic times are still so rough. I think cutting out the unnecessary is the way to go - more DIY projects! I just finished my pillows!! SOmetimes a $$ purchase like a coffee machine or sewing machine can be great investments in things that are a part of our everyday lives! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Bashful said...

Sorry to hear about the cut. It's hitting everyone. DH and I have just made a whole lot of little cuts, here and there. No more impulse buys - we have to really need it before we buy it. No more magazine subscriptions. No longer buying books - just making regular trips to the library. Just "basic" satellite - no more movie channels. And my big sacrifice: (almost) no more scrapbook supplies until I use up what I've got.

Shel said...

I am in the same boat, sista! Last year I was asked to take a 20% paycut! Can you believe it? They are lucky I'm sticking it out because the job is so flexible. We cut out the non-necessities: cleaning lady, babysitters, fancy clothes and dinners...yadda yadda. But, we are still in major debt because we like "things!" I hope it works out better for you than it did for me!

Pam said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of your niece and nephew!! That is great that you make sure to spend a little extra attention pn your nephew. My sister is a terrific Aunt b/c she does that with Aislynn...anyways, I am sorry to hear about your paycut. For us we are grocery shopping more. I know that is weird, but when we were just going once a week, we would end up wasting food, esp. fresh fruit and veggies b/c they would go bad before we used them. And I got these freezer bags to freeze the leftovers, b/c we tend to not eat them. So if I freeze them we can eat them at a much later date. We also got the less expensive satellite package. I will be interested to see what other ways you can come up with because I am looking for ideas too!

*reyanna* said...

We don't have a TV, so no cable or satellite. We rent movies from RedBox about once or twice a month... it's only $1 per movie!

I make a menu plan for the week and only buy groceries for the plan. This works SO well! We don't buy ice cream or candy anymore. No soda or juice either. Just water and milk.

I buy meat and Jeremy's lunch stuff at Costco. He *tries* to take his lunch every day.

I bring my own water to work and errands, so I don't have to buy bottled water.

I try not to go to any shops or malls. I canceled most emails that SELL things, like clothing stores and such. I DO want a new jacket from J Crew though. All my jackets are much to heavy from RI, and I need a light jacket for TX. *sigh* This saving money thing is SO HARD!!! LOL.

Good luck! :D